Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Occidental Grand Teguise Playa
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

Occidental Grand Teguise Playa
Avenida Del Jablillo s/n
Costa Teguise 35509
Lanzarote
http://www.discoverlanzarote.com/occid. ... _playa.asp
4 Stars

Post subject: Re: Occidental Grand Teguise Playa
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:18 pm 

administrator wrote:
Occidental Grand Teguise Playa
Avenida Del Jablillo s/n
Costa Teguise 35509
Lanzarote
http://www.discoverlanzarote.com/occid. ... _playa.asp
4 Stars

Probably the most impressive Hotel in CT when combining location foyer and facilities.

The terraced floors facing the sea look very good, and at one side its the beach - and the other the main carpark in the second largest tourist area in CT. 200m from the door takes you to double figures of bars, and the same number of restuarants. The Indian fags and booze shop almost directly across the car park normally offers the best exchange rate in CT too, although calculate what you should get first - as they seem to make many errors, and strangely never in your favour. They were also amongst the best prices for booze too.

Its also about 150m from the latest opening food place in CT, upstairs at the right at the other side of the car park. There is never much noise from it either, as it tends to be used by the local police for snacks during the night.

Strangely it looks pretty mundane from the street side - but as soon as you are through the doors, I promise you will be amazed. I am not saying more to spoil it - just go in for a (slightly overpriced) drink and see for yourself. (There is one more hotel like this in CT, but its probably the furthest from the sea).

Almost all accommodation is FB or HB, and I don't remember there being any supermarket inside - but it did have some upmarket style outlets.

Computing facilities are good, and for long stint "Ryanairers" there are a couple of printers for boarding passes.

I did not have a wifi phone then - and cannot remember if there was room or hotspot coverage.

Nearest shop was about 250m turn right as you go out, then walk to the end of the carpark, and its at the start of the little bendy road off at your left, but with not that good a selection. There is a larger one perhaps 400m to the left when leaving the hotel - which is far larger.

Parking is brilliant even at high season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:00 pm 

I hated this hotel for the four hours I was there. We booked it last minute and from the reviews on TA I thought it would be great. How wrong. First off, we'd previously been to Playa Blanca which is more upmarket and generally gentile. As we drove in, I did not like the look of CT from the coach windows. Very touristy looking and a bit chavvy dare I say it.

The hotel itself needs ripping to the ground. The foyer carpet was stained, faded and in many places thread bare. This continues throughout the hotel. The windows were so filthy you couldn't see out of them. Staff at the check in desk very unhelpful.

Buffet had flies crawling all over and no temp controlled bits (it was outside). There were people walking through the foyer in tight, short speedos (eurgh-save for outside please and then cover up o come in!!) and the whole place needed a good scrub. There was an abdundance of fake plants that overspilled from heights which were again, faded and dusty. The poolside had rusty marks round the edges - grim.

Then we found our room. Well, nasty, cracked, cheap tiles. Tiny cot for our son, and it had stained linen and was grubby and chipped. The melamine fridge was so chipped and nasty should have been condemned. Bathroom was mouldy and light had flies (dead) in it. Great view from the balcony, but nasty furniture to sit on if u decided to sit out. Really old faded, bedlinen. The only swish thing about the hotel was the brochures, which promised greater things than we saw.

I live in a normal, but nice house and keep good standards of cleanliness and we regularly repaint our house to keep it fresh. So why would I come here to 'put up with' a place like this. I was prepared to pay for my own flights home that I felt so strongly about this place. But luckily after hours of complaining we got moved to Timanfaya palace in Playa Blanca. Both 4* allegedly, but in a different league to each other. We've stuck with PB ever since and veered between NP and TP.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:22 pm 

totally disagree with you!! we have just had friends stay at this hotel and nothing of the above is true!! are you sure it was the right hotel? for a start costa teguise is hardly chavvy as you call it!! i live here and am by no means a chav,nor are 95% of the people who holiday here.
the hotel does not have an outside buffet?? and if you only stayed for four hours how on earth can you coment on the meals or service? i have eaten at this hotel many times and the buffet is always fresh and replenished regularly and the restaurant staff are alway courteous, as for people in speedos?? i've also been in hotels in playa blanca and believe me it isnt isloated to costa teguise!!
the plants in the foyer are actually real plants not plastic and the pool is spotless as are the rooms.and the fridges are mini bars,so cant see how they could be rusting.
I fail to see how you can give an accurate review of a resort and hotel after such a short stay ,very unconstructive review and hopefully others will agree and ignore your unhelpful comments! and after reading your 'so called review' again i'm inclined to think you were actually at the punto jablillo apts,directly next door to the teguise playa? they are very basic apts and some of your comments actually ring true for there not the teguise playa.

Last edited by jude on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:30 pm 

I can only write as I saw the hotel-I am sorry, I did not mean to cause offense...of course chavdom is endemic (certainly have more than a few where I live!). Maybe I was harsh and should revisit CT.

BUT, as for CGTP my stay would have been shorter if I could have helped it. The hotel is rundown, tired and not very clean. When I go on holiday I expect certain standards (esp of a four star hotel) and this fell way short. More like 2 stars.

P.s. All I commented on was what I saw, I did not (and would not) eat the food. This was a mere observation. The service received was my personal experience. If the plants were real, then I apologise for the mistake. It's hard to see under a coating of dust...

We were most certainly in the OGTP. I have photos of the things I described- I will add the photos when I retrieve them from the hard drive.

The fridge (or mini bar) was an old melamine/chipboard piece of junk!