Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Other Side Of The Rip Off Lanzarote
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:52 am 

Its not very often I would sing the praises of the shops owned and operted by people of the more "Tanned" persuasion in Lanzarote, to be honest I avoid them like the plague, BUT on a visit last week we were walking past a new shop called "Marvel", beside the Hawaiin Bar in PDC, a nice smiling Pakastani gentleman greeted us good morning and that was it, no pushing us to enter his shop none of the usual bullsh1t you expect.
On the way back past his shop after a stroll we decided to go in and have a look (dangerous you may say!!!), the same gentleman greeted us again and asked if he could be of any assistance, here we go I thought, the pushy selling begins !!! when I stated we were just looking he backed off and said to call him if he could be of any assistance, I was in shock.
I had my eye on a Festina watch that I had seen elsewhere on the Island for 299 and i asked the gentleman if I could see the watch and the cost of it, he showed me the watch and it was priced at 159 !!! I tried it on and was happy with it, then he brought my partner to a display unit and asked her to pick any piece of jewellery she wanted free of charge !!!! I immediately said that I had not decided yet if I wanted to buy the watch but he said it didnt matter that he wanted to give her some jewellery !!!!!
Now im realy in shock..... I bought the watch and we headed off and we were so happy with the purchase that we went back in the afternoon and bought my partner a watch also, again he offered ME some jewellery from a mens display cabinet, when I declined he reduced my partners watch by 20e........
Back in Ireland I bring my partners watch to get a link removed in a well known jewellers, when I collect the watch I ask the jeweller to value both watches, mine he valued at 500e, my partners he valued at 700e, mine cost 159e, my partners 179e.....

When we were in the shop in Lanzarote I told the gentleman out straight why I didnt go to these shops as I find them pushy and off-putting he agreed with me totally and when we returned in the afternoon to buy my partners watch he called his son out from the back of the shop and said "this is the gentleman I was telling you about this morning" when i enquired what he had told his son he replied how I had told him about pushy sales not working and that this is not how he wanted to run his shop, I have to say I left the shop amazed and happy that we had met such a nice person....

The point to this story......none realy, just if your looking for some nice jewellery and dont want to get ripped off, give this guy a chance, tell him the Irish couple with the baby who came into his shop on his second day opened and bought the 2 watches sent you, told him I would spread the word......

Post subject: Re: Other Side Of The Rip Off Lanzarote
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:27 pm 

there is a shop like that in costa teguise just under saxos,every time i walk past there is always a hello,and when i go in the shop no pressure to buy anything,i always use this shop now to exchange my money or buy things,unlike others i could mention :evil:
p.s i hope you go back and tell the owners how much the watches are worth lol.

love meatxx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:39 pm 

The Irish were never good with numbers, ask the economy... :twisted:

Honestly, if this is the case, WELL DONE to this shop and may they prosper.
VISANTA is also a good and decent shop to use.

Maybe a thread could be set up to PRAISE customer service rather than show the bad side.
BUT, never forget to NAME and SHAME the bad ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:05 pm 

Meat now that you mention Costa Teguise I think he said he had a shop there too, maybe the same owner ????, Cymmon I wont lower myself to argue the Irish economy with you, think if you look close the Lanzarote we all love so much is in the same position, worse in fact......not to mention other large europen countries, we dont all have the luxury of living on 10 cent a week in the Philippines :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking of shaming establishments, a gentleman came into this shop I speak of complaining that the shop next door (dont know its name) had wanted 5e for a watch battery, sounds ok, problem they wanted to charge a 40e "Service Charge" to fit the battery !!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:55 pm 

I wish! It's now 15 cents a week in the Philippines due to having to pay out to help such third world countries such as Ireland, Spain and England! :twisted:

Joking aside, I re-iterate that this could be a good thread, or start another, to promote the "good" shops in Lanza and try to help people to keep out of the "cowboys" shops.

This rip off has been going on for many years and unfortunately and people still fall for the same scams. Maybe I am being too optimistic and some people will always leave their brains back home and fall for any pitfalls in whichever area they visit. I have tried before to warn people either via this thread or face to face if I've seen people discussing an incredible deal they have been offered.

Lets start to promote, push the good shops and get people to check prices before they arrive on the Island.