Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Papagayo Beaches
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:24 pm 

Hi, we are coming out in August for 2 weeks and plan to spend a lot of time on the papagayo beaches. Can anyone tell me how busy they are in August. We were out last October and they were nice and quiet as was Playa Blanca generally but I don't have a feel as to how busy it is in August. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Papagayo Beaches
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:52 pm 

Hi, i am sorry to say that i can't help about August, but we are going out for the first time in October and wondered if there were any tips you could give to us.

Sorry, but hopefully thank you as well.

Ged

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:23 pm 

They will be busy in August. It's when the Spanish take their holidays - as well as one of the busiest months for Brits.

Try the boat-taxi(s) from Playa Blanca harbour to get to Papagayo. Its better than wrecking your hire car driving there. And great fun :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:03 pm 

The beaches are never packed like the main town beaches and by wandering that little bit further along each bay means you can usually find a decent plot to make camp. It is nice (but a little costly) to get the taxi-boat out but if you are planning on visiting several days then you can park by the Papagayo Arena hotel and walk down the windy path on to one of the beaches in 5 minutes (I live near there and do this daily with my dogs!).
TIP:
As for the bumpy road if you head out of Playa Blanca on the road to the marina and follow it without deviating you eventually get to the outskirts of Los Coloradas and a small power station, follow the road along and turn left at the end - this takes you to the end of the bumpy track (by the entrance gates) and the road has been laid from this point and is no longer a dirt track. Much nicer way to see Playa Blanca and also to keep your teeth in!
Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:47 pm 

Phil

Thanks for the info, glad to hear they are not going to too busy. We are staying in a villa in Las Coloradas anyway and were intending to drive each day, like we did last October and I suspect it would take us longer to drive into Playa Blanca to catch a boat round than it does to drive. We also managed to find the shortcut track at the back of Las Coloradas which is quite bumpy but as you say once you get past the entrance the road isn't bad.

Ged

Not sure what tips I can give you and I'm sure there are people on here who are far more qualified than I am to help. All I can say, is that last October we had a fantastic time, the weather was great, the papagayo beaches lovely and not very busy, the sea was warm (compared to home) and clear and we loved it so much we're coming back for 2 weeks in August and then again in October.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:13 pm 

[quote="bmthtt"]Phil

Thanks for the info, glad to hear they are not going to too busy. We are staying in a villa in Las Coloradas anyway and were intending to drive each day, like we did last October and I suspect it would take us longer to drive into Playa Blanca to catch a boat round than it does to drive. We also managed to find the shortcut track at the back of Las Coloradas which is quite bumpy but as you say once you get past the entrance the road isn't bad.

Ged

quote]

If you are staying in Los Coloradas then just walk up beside the Papagayo Arena hotel and then you can drop straight down on to the beach I do it every day and its a lovely walk and stunning views from the clifftops before you get to the beach!
Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:30 pm 

Hi,

I also love Papagayo Beaches and it's a must to visit at least once every trip.

I've never done the walk as we usually drive down.

Looking on google earth I can see how close the beach is to the hotel but it's hard to judge the type of walk, can you tell me if it's really steep and loose underfoot, I'd love to do this on my next trip but am prone to dodgy knees if I push myself a bit too hard, can walk for miles on the flat but cardiac hill nearly finished me off after 2 weeks. :lol:

Would welcome in your advise.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:38 am 

Not quite sure what arby is on about!!

I would def drive - by getting the water taxi you limit yourself to going during the busiest time - I love going out at 4pm in the afternoon when many are coming back - just for a quick 2 hour swim and sunbathe. The road is much better than it was last year just as long as you don't nail it and hit a pot hole. Our fave beach of the 5 is the one the is actually called the "playa papagayo" - the are collectively known as the papagayo beaches but all have diff names. The playa papagayo is the one which is a horseshoe cove but recommend trying them all!

They certainly aren't as busy as say the dorada beach at peak time - but do be careful as you will fry in august - take a sun umbrella especially if you have kids - there is no shelter from the sun at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:54 pm 

Agree the road is quite good now, coming at different times of the year it seems better to me around the time the Caravan Site opens up, they seem to grade it before then and slowly throught out the season it gets a bit rougher but rewind 20 years and it's a dream compared to then.

Always remember my first time, got to around where the entrance now is, looked across and just saw clouds of dust and cars zig zagging all over the place looking for a way through, no such thing as a road then, you took your chances and hoped you didn't end up in a hole, or on top of a boulder ( like my dad did :lol: )

Best bit is the beaches are just as beautiful to me now as they were then, roll on 4 weeks when i'm back on them... :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:07 pm 

The climb down from the hotel is windy and quite steep, if you are not confident on your feet or have a pushchair with kids who won't get out then driving would be a better option! Plus the walk from the hotel to the fifth beach takes a good hour and a half.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:58 pm 

Thanks for that about being steep and windy, if it's not good underfoot then I might get down there and never get back up, think i'll carry on using the car ..

You mention the fifth beach,.. from the road way in they point you in 3 directions, a long flat beach with car park each side, the one with the restaurant on top with one bay each side and the campsite beach, are there any others accessible apart from these..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:39 pm 

We have just returned and went to the one on the far left most often, one day we were last off the beach at 8.45pm !!!!!!!!!!!! AMAZING! Got into the habit of ordered a packed lunch from Cafe Aromas in Papagaya Centre the day before, took the cool bag down to collect it in and that meant we could be prepared and not have to leave the beach for supplies! :lol: