Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: PB, Dec 2015 Holiday Accommodation Advice Required Please
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:12 pm 

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all well. This is my first post.

I'm a single woman who is in need of some advice please.

I intend to come for a 3 week stay to Lanzarote hopefully from 6th December 2015, leaving 27th December 2015.

I'm 47 and this will be my first holiday for 6 years. Therefore, I'm keen to choose the right place!

I'm looking for some high quality accommodation, either in an AI resort or self catering apartment. I do not wish to hire a car, so walking distance from amenities is important.

My requirements are:
: must have a sea view/or pool view
: must be within reasonable walking distance (10 minute walk) to shops etc
: must have amazing weather every day (only joking!!!) :-)
: must NOT have lots of very young kids running about

I'm not sure, but I think I'd be better off in an adult only place or a place where the kids are a bit older. I love kids and families but I don't want to be in a situation where I'm avoiding the pool etc due to lots of very young kids making lots of drama.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could offer me any advice on this matter.

Does anyone have an apartment they would consider letting out to me for the duration of 6th to 27th December 2015.

I'm very quiet and respectful of people's property.I only wish to re-charge my batteries for a few weeks and enjoy reading in the sun.

Many Thanks and Regards,

Shona.

Post subject: Re: PB, Dec 2015 Holiday Accommodation Advice Required Pleas
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:32 pm 

Hi Shona,

The Hotel Hisperia in Puerto Calero about 15 mins from the airport and would be good for what you are looking for, it is 5 star and as sea views, it sits just above the marina only a few minutes walk which has lovely bars restaurants and shops, and is peaceful so you could just chill if you wish, and shouldn't have loads of rowdy children neither.

It is a only a few miles from Puerto del carmen which is on a bus route, and is a bit more lively (should you require a bit more noise) there is a taxi rank just along from the hotel and is about 6 euro's into del carmen.

Another resort is Playa Blanca which is about 30 mins from the airport, but i haven't stayed there so couldn't comment on a particular hotel, but the place itself is lovely, with plenty going on, but a bit less lively than del carmen.

Hopefully the weather will be good (normally is) because we are over at roughly the same time, 17th until 30th dec.

I hope you enjoy your stay, because you have picked a lovely island to visit, really is friendly and hot.

Roger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:28 pm 

Hello and welcome,

I think Puerto Calero sounds like a good bet, a bit more "up market" than PDC (don't get me wrong I do love PDC, but there are a few noisy bars etc which migh not suit in this case). It's also close enough to walk in to PDC (cliff top pathway), get a bus or a taxi if you want to see a bit more life. As far as shops are concerned, I don't think Lanzarote is a very good shopping destination, but ther again, I don't go there for the shops.

I have never stayed at the Hesperia Hotel referred to, which I believe does AI, but I have stayed in the Hesperia Playa Dorada in Playa Blanca recently and it was lovely.

I am the same age as you and also a lady travelling alone, I stayed for three nights in June. The room I had (which was probably one of their entry level rooms as my criteria was the price) was very nice indeed and had a view of the pool though not the sea. The food was ok, but I am quite picky, and it had a lovely cocktail bar area where I enjoyed a few cocktails and got chatting to other guests. Plus it felt very safe for a person travelling on their own and the staff were polite and helpful.

Also they had other facilities including an indoor pool and spa area, hairdressers and laundry service.

Hope this helps a little!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:43 pm 

Just to add to my post, the hotel was mainly adults with lots of nationalities.

Also, I would consider hiring a car, I always do, as car hire is quite reasonable and the roads are very good in Lanzarote and easy to drive on as they are not that busy (even if you find yourself in Arrecife by accident, it's no worse than driving in your average size town in The UK).

The last time we came over the car (from Autoreisen at the airport) was 52 euros for the week which meant we did not have to pay for a taxi / transfer to and from the resort and were able to do some running around / sightseeing to our own timetable. Lanzarote is a very strange, but beautiful and peaceful place, with more to see than you might imagine!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:40 pm 

Hi Roger and Parrot,

Thanks to you both for your kind replies. The information provided has been very helpful.

Both Hesperia hotels look amazing and I've looked online and they both have availability for my dates. I'm afraid they are both priced a little bit out of my reach...you pay for quality though!

I'll sleep on it tonight and may just go for it. I think I'd rather pay more and be confident knowing I'm going somewhere really nice than pay less and be disappointed with the accommodation.

Many thanks again for your help.

Shona.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:00 am 

Hi Shona,

No problem happy to help, yes Hesperia is quite expensive, but over Christmas as well which won't help, there is a nice one in Puerto del Carmen called Hotel Fariones, but it's booked up on your dates, but there are apartments nearby Apartment Fariones, i know them but i haven't stayed but i understand they are very nice, and not rowdy, Hesperia is £1783 for the dates you are looking where Fariones apartments are £1081.

Anyway not telling you what to do, just a bit of advice, hope you get sorted, and enjoy your stay.

Regards Roger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:12 pm 

I assumed you were looking for somewhere in Playa Blanca.

I can recommend 2 places.

The first is the Sandos Papagayo Arena at the far end of the resort. It's a 4 star AI establishment and the food is fantastic with a choice of restaurants. I was there in January and while there were kids there weren't a lot of them and the complex is so big you can always find a quiet spot. There is a small shopping centre 5 minutes walk from the hotel but there's not much there. The main shopping areas of PB can be reached by taxi for about 4 Euros or if you're feeling energetic it's about a 45 minute walk along a beautiful coastal path. The Rubicon Marina is about half way and there are shops and restaurants there as well as a market on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

The second is Wimpen Las Brisas resort in the main part of Playa Blanca. It is a medium sized complex of self catering villas and is 3 minutes from the main streets of Playa Blanca where you will find shops, bars, restaurants. It has a large heated pool with plenty of comfortable sunbeds. Each villa has it's own small garden with sun loungers if you want peace and quiet, I usually spend a few hours after breakfast reading in the garden. There is a bar and a restaurant on site as well as a small minimarket. The largest supermarket in PB is across the main road. There is a mixture of villas size wise and some are also privately owned while others are time share. Wimpen themselves hire out villas and I've hired privately through ownersdirect and also directly from Wimpen. The villas are well equipped with a full kitchen with oven, hob, fridge freezer, washing machine, kettle, toaster. The TV also has the main 5 UK channels. If location is high on your list then it's perfect.

Last edited by RobertK on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:19 pm 

I should add that although you've said you don't want to hire a car, if you're going to PB hiring a car at the airport is cost effective as taxi transfers will be about 100e and you can hire a car for 2 weeks for not much more. I'm going in a fortnight and my hire car is 116e including all taxes and insurance. I use this company and have been using them for over 10 years. http://www.arcarhire.com/car-hire/car-hire.php