Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Playa Blanca Golf Course
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:27 pm 

Can anyone update on whether Playa Blanca will ever get the proposed new golf course?

Post subject: Re: Playa Blanca Golf Course
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:10 pm 

The straight answer is, I doubt whether anyone can. It has been in the pipeline for at least 10, if not many more, years. Once in a while there is a flurry of activity, but I would not hold my breath.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:15 pm 

Why would anyone want another golf course in Lanzarote ? It's a waste of water, which is very sparse in the Canaries.

It's just a middle class sport that upwardly mobile working classes think they ought to aspire too.

Or as Bernard Manning said; "What a way to spoil a good walk."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:17 pm 

Well if there's a demand for it why not, what harm are golfers doing you?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:34 am 

Trufflehound, to be clear, I'm not a golfer, and I'm never likely to use the course which, if built, will be a few hundred meters from my house. However, I can see there is a potential market for the golfing fraternity of the large permanent and transient populations of PB who don't want to travel all the way to PdC or CT to play golf.

I could have written the same paragraph above exchanging "water park" for "golf course" - it's a commercial decision, not a part of some class rivalry.

On the subject of water, the intention is to use the green water from the sewage disposal plant which Club Lanzarote built at the NW side of MontaƱa Roja a long time ago. The two were planned together, but the golf course has been delayed by planning permission and a bird protection area. The latter issue has been solved by moving the position of the planned course, and now it is held for approval of Yaiza's partial plan.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:04 am 

RobertK wrote:

Some years ago whilst serving in the army we were doing some repair work in Berchtesgaden,Bavaria. The repair work involved a road over a golf course. The sheer arrogance of golfers who would even hit balls at people to maim them, and to chase them off the golf course. The fact that we had to be there, to do the work, was of no consequence to the golfing idiots/fraternity."Get off our course", was their motto. That is their mentality.

I don't like the mass media promoted middle class sports of ; Rugby 'Union' (not rugby league), tennis, cricket and golf.

One of the main reasons I don't like them, is due to their adherents who have watched 'while Britain has burned'. The middle classes have the ability to change things but don't.

Pan et circusem

The UK is in a mess, but folks priorities are playing golf; and for the real 'dumbells', watching soap operas. I despair of 'dumbed down Britain'.

I am sure that the unemployed of Lanz/Spain will be really impressed with golfers and even more golf courses on Lanz ?

Grass is alien to the Canaries.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:24 am 

Well it must feel good to get that lot off your chest!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:55 pm 

trufflehound wrote:
RobertK wrote:

Some years ago whilst serving in the army we were doing some repair work in Berchtesgaden,Bavaria. The repair work involved a road over a golf course. The sheer arrogance of golfers who would even hit balls at people to maim them, and to chase them off the golf course. The fact that we had to be there, to do the work, was of no consequence to the golfing idiots/fraternity."Get off our course", was their motto. That is their mentality.

I don't like the mass media promoted middle class sports of ; Rugby 'Union' (not rugby league), tennis, cricket and golf.

One of the main reasons I don't like them, is due to their adherents who have watched 'while Britain has burned'. The middle classes have the ability to change things but don't.

Pan et circusem

The UK is in a mess, but folks priorities are playing golf; and for the real 'dumbells', watching soap operas. I despair of 'dumbed down Britain'.

I am sure that the unemployed of Lanz/Spain will be really impressed with golfers and even more golf courses on Lanz ?

Grass is alien to the Canaries.

I'm as working class as it comes, I love watching golf, I love playing golf. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:59 pm 

if I recall the Latin I learned at my (definitely middle class) school, Juvenal actually wrote "panem et circenses". But it was a long time since he wrote it, and nearly as long ago since I read it.