Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Playa Blanca special meal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:11 pm 

I am coming with my girlfriend to stay in playa blanca. Does anyone know of any of the hotels or restaurants that do any special meals for a special birthday? I want something very nice probably spanish/european. I have been looking at some of the hotels and they all seem to offer good meals but also would be interested in looking for restaurants too. I hope someone can help? Sorry for so many questions in my first post. Do any of the hotels/restaurants have online menus?

Post subject: Re: Playa Blanca special meal
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:47 am 

Don't know all the hotel restaurants that well but as a hotel yaiza princesa is lovely! Has a great piano bar with fab sea views and also a really nice spa place if you fancy treating your mrs to a massage and all that?

Restaurantwise Pedro's (Casa Pedro in the sea front) does the best squid on the island and Romantica (great for meat!) are the two oldest though not been to Romantica since it moved. Romantica is/was a bit of an expat favourite.

Menu's are much the same - squid/fresh fish/ etc! Cooked simply and very fresh - though what is annoying that a lot of the spanish restaurant have stuff not on the menu that only the locals get!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:33 pm 

Thank you foodie, do you really think the princessa yaiza would be ok? I think she may like a massage. The other restaurants are easy to find? Think she likes chicken so will try to find a restaurant/hotel that will do a "standard" version, not too many spices or sauces. Thank you for your reply. If I speak spanish will we get a discount? :wink: I am not far off fluent but not had chance to use it yet. Done a 2 year course.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:56 pm 

http://www.princesayaiza.com/thalasso/default-en.html

Bit more info

It depends what you want?! Its fun to wander in and out of all the hotels to check them out even if you aren't staying there.

http://www.el-chupadero.com/bodega-engl ... zarote.htm

Great for lunch!

http://casapedroplayablanca.com/
Don't try and contact them on the website - or do but don't expect a reply!!

If you speak spanish then you will be at a definite advantage - they always like it when people make the effort.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:49 pm 

So romantica is up in the air, maybe try chuppaderra, any idea what the big hotels would charge? I would be happy to pay more if the food was good. In a way I would like something seriously "tapas" or Spanish. Why go to Spain and not do the spanish bit? I also want to try my spanish, hopefully its ok, any differences from mainland spain? I just want a decent meal that will be good for my girlfriend, she is the important one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:32 pm 

Hardly any of the places have websites! Romantica certainly doesn't! Romantica is more of a meat place! So if you fancy a fab steak, rack of lamb etc Am not out till the end of Feb so haven't been to there new location but told it is very nice.

Pedro's main thing is fish - but am pretty sure there is a chicken option.

Chupadero is in the vineyard prob about 20 mins out of playa blanca. They do a very simple tapas menu,

There is a dinky tapas bar on the main pedestrian road over looking the sea - called terracitas perhaps? can't remember.

You need to remember that you are in the Canaries not mainland spain - so tapas isn't the main thing. Fish, vieja and dorada which are a bit like snapper, squid, rabbit, goat, salted potatoes are the main things. The locals are spanish when it suits them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:14 pm 

Ok, thanks, looks like i´m looking at a more south american style cooking.? This is quite interesting, i love lamb and she likes chicken, will have a car for 14 days so travel not a problem. Mercedes C class for €270, nice car!!!!! Just need to make the meal special.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:39 pm 

Wow! You will certainly stand out in the car!!! Not many mercs about apart from the taxis!! I normally just get a run around for about 80E!

If you want super special for the meal - check out Bodega in Uga - you will pass it on the drive from the airport, it will be on the left (I think!) side after you have passed the ahumedaria (smoked salmon place). It has a toucan as its sign.

http://www.gazettelive.com/touristguide ... easure.htm

It will cost you easy 120-150 euros but the food and setting is amazing - pop in at lunch time to check it out to book for the evening. I can't recommend it high enough - one of my fave restaurants in the world ever!!!

Another place to impress the Mrs (well it impressed mine!) is Femes - which is the dinky little village in the mountain above playa blanca. There is a bar on the precipice which is perfect to go for a quick sharpner before dinner as the sun goes down - the sun is shining off the sea over fuertaventura. There is also a really nice restaurant on the right hand side - it has a garden in front of it but it closes really early you want to be there before 8.

When are you flying out?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:00 pm 

Early March. Think the Merc is too much? Staying in playa blanca so is it ok to park? I have looked at femes, seems nice, the uga restaurant sounds nice. Would also be good to look round the island. Looks like alot to see. Been through other posts and seen cymmon does tours, any good? Seems to have a good knowledge of the island. Is it better to go and venture out alone?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:57 pm 

Well you only need a little runaround really - if you are going to push the boat out then a convertible is nice! Cabrera medina tend to have the best range. Auto reisen generally cheapest.

I would def venture out alone especially if you have a car. Where are you staying? Take a couple of days getting you feet on the ground then after 3 or 4 days jump in the car and off you go!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:50 pm 

Staying at Costa Volcan, looks a nice hotel. B&B, want to "taste" lanzarote, not the usual fare of AI hotels. It seems the same the world over.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:08 am 

Gran Melia Volcan? V. nice over near the marina.

Costa Volcan is in PdC?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:24 pm 

Oooops yes, the one with the top like a volcano.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:54 pm 

Just looked at the hotel,, it looks gorgeous :D And its impossible to park in Playa Blanca by the way :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:10 am 

jacksback wrote:
Just looked at the hotel,, it looks gorgeous :D And its impossible to park in Playa Blanca by the way :lol:

I always park round the back of the row of bars/restauranta/shops where the Fiddlers is. :D