Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: prescriptions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:41 am 

Both myself and husband are coming for a 6 month stay, we are both over 65 and on prescription tablets in the UK. I am told that we can only have 2 months supply to take with us, so can anyone advise on the cost of prescriptions if we pay for these ourselves in Lanzarote? Also can we just show what medication we are on at the chemist? Thanking you Vick :)

Post subject: Re: prescriptions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:36 pm 

HI

It really depends on what items are on your prescription.AND if said items are available in Spain ( many UK prescription items are not available here or we use generic alternatives)
As a guideline most items are available over the counter ( at full price as you do not have a ´´receta´´ or Spanish issued prescription) the exceptions are ...any type of antibiotic ( you must have a Spanish prescription issued here) or certain opiate based drugs....a good idea is to bring a copy of your English prescription so the pharmacist can supply the items or offer a generic alternative
By the way afraid in Spain there is no reduction as to the cost if you are of pensionable age..unlike the UK.

Last edited by lanzalocal on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:41 pm 

Thank you for the information.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:27 am 

Hi Vick, it may be cheaper to fly back to UK to renew prescriptions, i'm sure my mother in law gets 6 month's of prescriptions, i will ask her tomorrow, whoops today (later) and let you know, and that was for the same reason as you want them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:44 am 

On a slightly different note.....you say you will be here 6 months....are you aware that stays of over 90 days require that you register here and stays of 6 months (183 days or over ) means you will be classed as ´´tax-resident´´ and will have to pay taxes here rather than the UK...also your EHIC which entitles you to healthcare abroad only has a 90 day validity ..after that you should leave the NHS and register for healthcare here using Form S1 provided by the overseas dept. of the Dept Of Work and Pensions.
The following is an extract from Gov,UK website regarding long stays in Spain ....quote

´´Staying for longer than 3 months

If you’re planning to stay in Spain for longer than 3 months you must register in person at the nearest Office for Foreigners (Oficina de Extranjeros) which is normally part of the Town Hall (Ayuntamiento), or at designated Police stations.´´

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:08 am 

Thank you so much for that information, I didn't know any of it. It sounds too complicated, so I think we will stick with going for 3 months at any one time. :?