Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Quiet times
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:34 pm 

Here now, staying at playa bastian & loving it however can't believe how quiet it is at night. Plenty of people out in the day but they all disappear in the evening, leaving the local businesses high & dry.

Post subject: Re: Quiet times
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:34 am 

poopy wrote:
Here now, staying at playa bastian & loving it however can't believe how quiet it is at night. Plenty of people out in the day but they all disappear in the evening, leaving the local businesses high & dry.

Some folk on here say it's as busy as it ever was.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:49 am 

The supermarkets are probably doing better than ever, with people doing in Lanzarote what they now do at home: having a drink on their own couch/balcony and eating in.

The holidaymakers' habits are definitely changing. People will continue to come here, but they're spending their money differently.

Having said that, I think 'busy' and 'quiet' are more to do with the bar/restaurant itself rather than the time of year. Some places always do OK, no matter the month, while others never take off even during the supposed busy months. And there's probably some in the middle of these extremes who continue to slowly scrape along.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:50 am 

Hi
Agree with PubSpy here......in each resort there are maybe 3 or 4 establishments that are ´´steady´´year round (usually due to unique locations or unique offers)( TIP..DON¨T buy a bar that is advertised as up for sale......the good ones aren´t advertised :shock: :shock: ) everyone else seems that little bit quieter. :x ..having said that anyone in the ´´pub trade´´ will tell you that the beginning of June /end of May is always a quiet time here,as with the period from end of Jan to March.......and end of Oct. to middle of Nov. :(
The availabilty of cheap booze in supermarkets and the smoking ban (unless you have a large terrace área)(2nd TIP::::NEVER buy a bar without an outside terrace area :roll: :roll: ) are also having a huge effect. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:32 pm 

Let's not have another long debate about it, but All-Inclusive is becoming a much bigger factor too.

I met a family a few weeks ago who were on an AI holiday. I asked the wife why they picked AI and she said they liked the idea of knowing the cost in advance, and paying the cost in advance before they even left home. (Given the economic uncertainty in Ireland in particular, I assume this is a common issue)

They have three young children and didn't want to be walking around in the heat looking for someplace suitable to eat as well, she said.

And they assumed that if they went self-catering, then food in the supermarkets here would be similarly priced to that at home. It'd be the same for eating out and going for a drink in a pub here - same or similar price to home. (I reassured her this wasn't the case, but that was the impression she had).

I'm no fan of AI, but from this woman's point of view, I could understand the attraction.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:14 pm 

But Pub spy....

I find my shopping costs roughly the same in Lanza as it would do at home!

Based on following assumptions....
Supermarkets in Playa Blanca are the most expensive on the island.
Savings on booze offset massively by cost of fruit and veg due to importation costs etc.
Meat generally cheaper
Household goods ie. dishwasher tablets, cleaning products much more expensive (and yes I do buy local brands)

Eating out is generally cheaper due to the markup on booze being less than at home and meat/fish cheaper.

I normally shop at the big hiper dino and ropers so would be interested to know your thoughts on what's cheaper and what is not!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:40 pm 

Sorry foodie - let me clarify:

I meant I told the lady that the cost of eating out and a drink in most bars here is cheaper than at home (which is Ireland for her).

I didn't (and couldn't) tell her that general cost-of-living items, including food, were cheaper here. My other half is the expert on it, but I think most of this stuff here is similarly priced to that in the UK/Ireland.

(Though it's probably still a little cheaper here overall than in Ireland - it was reported recently that in the finance offices of Tesco, Ireland is apparently referred to as 'Treasure Island'.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:35 am 

I was in Costa a month ago & went to Pueblo Marinero one evening around 7.30 pm. I wish I'd made a booking, as most of the restaurants were full. On eventually getting a decent table in one of them-(I can't remember the name, but it had Canarian decor) he said that Pueblo is always busy in the evenings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:46 pm 

The thing we have found with AI is that it doesn't cost that much more than s/c does in many places so a lot of people pay the AI price but still have either a lunch or dinner out every day and go out for drinks in the evening. Not all AI people are 'tethered' to their hotels.

Also, if that is what attracts the tourists, it still provides jobs for the staff working in the AI establishments and does bring some money into the resorts. Ok, not as much as if you were having to buy all your meals and drinks out but as pointed out previously, many S/C tourists are buying their food and drink at supermarkets and staying in anyway.

There is no right or wrong. Personally I would prefer to have 2 cheaper AI holidays a year (thereby bringing my custom into the country twice) rather than only being able to afford to come once a year because the cost of eating and drinking out if s/c mounts up considerably.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:10 am 

JohnnoNB wrote:
I was in Costa a month ago & went to Pueblo Marinero one evening around 7.30 pm. I wish I'd made a booking, as most of the restaurants were full. On eventually getting a decent table in one of them-(I can't remember the name, but it had Canarian decor) he said that Pueblo is always busy in the evenings.

And you have been coming to Lanz for 5, 10 or 40 years ? :lol:

Or most likely your first excursion ?

Lanz was far busier in the very late 80's and early/mid 90's.

It, like all the rest of the Canary islands has not recovered.

That is a great shame.

But being as our 'unelected rulers' want us in poverty, what can we do ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:37 pm 

How can Lanza have been far busier in the late 80s early 90s?!

Thats bonkers - the new terminal was only built in 1999!

According to this link - am sure there are better ones but I don't have the time...
http://www.ent.cat/images/stories/ENT/a ... AERNA1.pdf

1980 - 200,000 tourists
1990 - 1,000,000
2001 - 2,000,000

Most of Playa Blanca didn't exist in the late 80s! Las Colarados and the marina was barely thought of (althoug plans for a golf course existed!!)
It may have seemed busy due to the much lower capacity.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:31 am 

foodie wrote:
How can Lanza have been far busier in the late 80s early 90s?!

Thats bonkers - the new terminal was only built in 1999!

According to this link - am sure there are better ones but I don't have the time...
http://www.ent.cat/images/stories/ENT/a ... AERNA1.pdf

1980 - 200,000 tourists
1990 - 1,000,000
2001 - 2,000,000

Most of Playa Blanca didn't exist in the late 80s! Las Colarados and the marina was barely thought of (althoug plans for a golf course existed!!)
It may have seemed busy due to the much lower capacity.

Yes yes !

It's all packed out nowadays.

Things are great.

No one is losing their jobs and people are flocking to lanz. More than ever before. Lanz is in an economic boom.

Foodie ought to be working for the tourist agency.

Maybe he/she is ?

The centro atlantico was built for when they used to pack them in in PDC. That is just one example.

Just about every building on lanz was built years ago, and now rather a lot is showing their age.

There's not much new building to cope with the increased demand by the increasing tourism that Foodie keeps banging on about.

10 years ago you could get a week in Lanz SC in December including flights for £99. A/I for just less than £200 for a week.

Around the same time I have seen the same in Fuerte, 7 nights SC named, for £49.

All from Manchester. Not the cheaper Gatwick

Now that's why numbers are down.

Foodie says....................... No recession in the Canaries ! Haha.

And why does he/she, keep banging on about Playa Blanca, when the main tourist areas are PDC and CT ?

How many bars have now had to close down due to this boom in tourism ?

Foodie get me a return flight for less than £200 !

Now that's what has affected tourism.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:00 am 

Return 200£ .............yes from Charleroi : 120 € return from 20th of june to 14th of july ...lucky ???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:46 am 

Hi
Ahhh yes good old Charleroi.......really handy for the likes of erm.....erm.... ermmm :roll:... well no where in the UK really :x ......which I think was the point of the post :? :? :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:51 am 

OK, iI accepted the challenge. I used Skyscanner to look for return direct flights from UK to Lanzarote, and in about two minutes found Monarch from Luton, the first 2 weeks in December for £102. I coud have found flights any week in the Autumn for less than £150. Try it, you can wizz backwards and forwards throught the calendar very rapidly, especially on an iPad by swiping.