Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Relocating to Costa Teguise
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:42 am 

Hi Guys,

Myself and my parenter are adiment on moving to Costa Teguise. I have been coming here for over 10 years now and it is like home to me, to the point that I get emotional leaving and not being there. Anyway we have a little girl aged two and I am wondering how expensive creche/ nannies are? I have some spanish but not a lot... I am going to attend spanish lessons now before the move at the end of next year. We are thinking about this realistically and are saving for the year before we move out... Jobs shouldnt be too much of an issue as we have friends over here and I am a singer and beauty therapist by trade. My partner is in the food business to. Basically looking for advice on how doable this is with a toddle coming along.

Thanks for your time :)

Post subject: Re: Relocating to Costa Teguise
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:34 pm 

Hi
It is ´´do-able´´ but you must have really thought about it and done your homework.....for instance what about medical treatment...you can´t use your EHIC if you are resident here and without a work contract or paying into the social security system here then you will have to pay privately for healthcare (very expensive)........jobs are still few and far between ...unemployment is still 35% and there is no ´``´dole´´ or welfare payments.....in order to become resident you need private health insurance and at least 6000€ in your SPANISH bank account.....what if the jobs are only available in another resort....can you afford to buy transport to get there...creche and nannies are expensive here and as most jobs mean you will be working 50 to 60 hours per week (just to pay the bills) how will you afford it??.....it is by no means an easy life...yeah it looks good when u are on your hols but in reality it is very very hard work with little leisure time if any!!....sorry if its not what you want to hear but have been here 10 years and personally have known or met at least 100 with the same idea of whom less than 10 are still here....most going back within 6 months totally broke and their dreams shattered......if you do try it bring at least SIX months worth of money to live on,pay bills,rentals etc......without that then you will probably be on the next plane home....that is the reality of living and working here :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:01 pm 

Thank you lanzalocal -

I appriciate the advice and knowledge you have on the topic.

I was expecting as much, as I said I have friends living there who have told me just as much. My theory is I am already working like this over in Ireland so why not try working this way in my favourite place :) It might not/ probably wont work out for the better but it is something I would like to try especially before my daughter gets too old.... We might try where one of us is working more days and one nights so childcare can be cut down, I am aware that I will not have the same rights eg heatlh care and schooling. I am willing to try other destinations other then Costa if it is easier on us. Can I ask you since you have been living there for so long how you have managed it? Not to be too noisey in your life but as you have such knowledge I am interested in how some can make it so and some can't? is it luck of the draw? Same for one of my friends out there - owns a pub that just happened to do well and is situated brilliantly? Thanks for your response

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:46 pm 

Hi meganod
Pm sent to you

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:25 pm 

Hi Lanzalocal..Ican not reply by pm... Many thanks for your reply and private message!... I am very glad you have been in contact with me with your advice and knowledge,even if it is not all amazing :) I hope you and your family stay a float and can hopefully get things going again! I am taking all of the comments into consideration and I am very thankful for it! Who knows I have a year to think about everything :)

Megan.