Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Restaurant tout's
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:37 pm 

Getting so fed up walking down the street or seafront getting pestered by restaurant tout's , it's so Offputting, I know all restaurants are fighting for Business but surly there must be a better way,
It's ok for people to say just be polite and say no but after a few days it's not good and very annoying tiring....
Nice to hear your views

Post subject: Re: Restaurant tout's
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:28 am 

Sadly the busier a place gets the more PR´s (or touts) there are.....same in any holiday destination wherever in the world you are.....during the depths of the recession there were far fewer,,,,and in PDC they are supposed to hold a licence paid for by the establishment who employs them.....but as long as tourists are suckered in by promises of free shots or drinks or BOGOF offers then they will never be eradicated....
Also the less ´´touristy´´ you look means the less you will be approached...so afraid you just have to ´´grin and bear it..´´......or walk past and not be suckered in (after all if you do not go in they do not get paid !!....and as no pay=no job=no touts...simples !! )....so unless tourists ignore them then they will always be here,or perhaps in your case even find something more constructive to do than walking past restaurants and bars,,,,maybe try sitting under the little bridge between Asia and The Old Mill (as according to a previous post you live in PB)....after all according to nursery rhymes that what all trolls do !! ....Isn´t it ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:07 am 

I used to work as a "tout", I would walk towards prospective customers, explain that the menu WAS indeed special, feel free to look and also walk round the restaurant, if it wasn't to your liking walk away.

This seemed to get a good and extra 50% of customers, there is no reason for pushy sale or lies, the food and restaurant is the truth of the matter.

I had people say to me that because I showed them the menu then walked away, they were more than happy to go and try the restaurant.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:25 am 

I don't mind them too much, they're mostly polite and friendly and if anyone does get a bit too pushy then I'll walk away.

But I have memories of the bar touts in PDC years ago, especially outside Centro Atlantico, some of them were rude and threatening and we generally crossed the road when we got to that part of the Avenida. This was a long time ago though, no idea what it's like now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:08 pm 

OP - are you referring to Playab Blanca? I visit every 2 months or so and honestly can't think where you'd mean this happens....maybe I do as Lanzalocal suggests and just walk past so water off the back as it were!

There are some restaurants that have a little banter as you walk past but always friendly and don't mind it, they are pleasant enough