Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Review of first visit to lanzarote feb2012
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:49 pm 

After researching where to stay in Lanza for a few weeks I decided on Matagorda as I wanted to be central to explore the island.
I then took advice on here for car hire which was Autoreisen also was first in queue in the baggage hall so very swift service ! Car was not new but fine especially as they said 1/2 tank of petrol in the car and there was actually a full tank - great start !
We were staying at the Guacimeta Apartments which are a max 10 min drive from the airport and no you cant hear the planes ! and although we didnt have a view being on the ground floor the place was more than adequate would stay there again .....
Now as I had lived in Mallorca previously for 3 years I didn't have high expectations for the resorts but I was pleasantly surprised and of course you have tourist tacky shops and burgers and chips but in Puerto del Carmen the strip is so long it's not overwhelming. And if you go to the port wow it's amazing watching the sun go down sipping wine !
Our first day we drove south to El Papagayo beach - stunning ! loving the almost off road drive for about 3 kilometres till you reach a choice of beaches all amazing ...... After this we drove into Playa Blanca again beautiful much nicer than PDC but I didn't want to be located at the southern tip of the island ..... Evening meal in Cantina tex mex in PDC which was great !! Then back to apt for drinks ..... As I live in London I'm not really into spending half the night in a touristy bar serving watered down spirits and free shots made of nothing ( note I lived in Spain !) also too old for hangovers wasting the whole next day !!!!!
Second day breakfast then headed north to the La cuevas de la Los verdes 8euro entry and takes just under an hour being guided through the caves which are naturally formed and are 7kms long well worth a visit and a huge surprise inside which I cannot tell ! Then headed back to Arrecife stopping at The Cesar manrique foundacion again 8euro entry and if you like architecture then this is incredible wanted to move in right away ! Then to get some more sun at Playa Honda where we had the whole beach to ourselves ..... And enjoyed watching the planes just close by ....
Third day we drove to the timinfaya national park which was an amazing drive but as we got to the entrance decided not to go in as we felt just driving through was enough and decided lava is lava ! Chilled again in PDC on the beach before heading home to cook seafood !
We only stayed tue- sat again as in the winter a week can be a little too long ..... We left on sat and luckily landed 2 hours before the snow caused disruption !!!!
I loved lanzarote and would definitely visit again it's just so different to any other place ( landscape ) and not a quarter as tacky as parts of Mallorca .....Thanks to all the locals for you invaluable advice especially car hire the one I booked would have meant paying for a whole tank regardless whether used or not and I drove a fair bit and only used just over half a tank !
Cheers Thorn34

Post subject: Re: Review of first visit to lanzarote feb2012
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:54 pm 

It's a shame you missed the Timanfaya National Park. You missed the restaurant with natural ovens, the volcanic experiments showing the heat so close to the surface and a 40 minute coach journey through a stunning landscape of Volcanic Colours.

Maybe you have to visit again to see the true majesty of this area? The approach is stunning but the hidden (except for €8 entrance) area is even more stunning.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:50 pm 

Don't think its all that great Cymmon! An oven is an oven, and pouring water into a dormant volcano re-emerge as steam is hardly a eureka moment! THe coach tour IMO is overlong and frankly car sick inducing in fact several kids were sick last time I did it! And I do hope they've updated the planets soundtrack....

Yes its an interesting trip but if only there for 5 days think Thorn has prioritised the best ones to do. I'd chuck in the Mirador next time too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:14 pm 

With 100+ trips on said volcano trip with never a sick child or adult I feel you are wrong.

Mirador, I agree with, the views from the back road are stunning enough.

I just love Lanzarote and love to promote it even though I am a few miles away in the Philippines..... But I will be back and do the Timanfaya tour again.

PS: Welcome back foodie.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:07 pm 

One major problem with the Timanfaya tour is the traffic. I does get veeeery stuffed up there at times. Sometimes they let cars pass the gate just to stop them a little further up because of lack of parking space. And staying inside your car in bleedin sunshine for an extended period of time with kids crying and your partner shouting may not be what you want.

Go early is my advice. If not, - you risk this:

Attachment:
2011 11 16 TKL_0422 cr 1200.jpg
2011 11 16 TKL_0422 cr 1200.jpg [ 117.68 KiB | Viewed 2409 times ]

At times more cars up there than in the airport parking..........

Also, - on foggy days, - forget it.........

But I agree the bus tour can be fab, - even with the old soundtrack....... :wink:

PS: Sorry about the bad pic. quality..........

"The more I learn the less I know...."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:23 pm 

It's really the same as tourist attractions everywhere - avoid the middle of the day. First thing, or late afternoon are the best times. The vehicle access does ned sorting out though, there can often be 200 metres of queue on the main road and through traffic has to be on the wrong side of the road all the way to get past. It could easliy be solved by moving the ticket barrier 300 metres up the access road.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:30 pm 

Velkommen tilbage, Zoco, Jeg håber du er ok?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:16 am 

Thanks for the pic ! Didn't expect that to be there had I drove on in ! Next year I will get there though .... Still admiring my tan as I freeze here in London thinking this time last week ....... Can't believe how lucky we were with only paying £200 pp inc car hire ....... Just booked a weekend to Berlin cost £100 more with no car ........ And no guaranteed sun !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:06 pm 

I didn't say don't go - just if you have limited time then there are better attractions IMO. I've been 5 times and that's 3 1/2 times too many!

But the coach tour is overlong - volcanic rock and its variety of shapes and colours is only interesting for so long!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:38 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:33 am 

cymmon wrote:

Thanks Cymmon !

OK is relative, - but yes not too bad.......... :D

Cheers...

"The more I learn the less I know...."