Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rip Off Camera Shop
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:56 am 

Hi my wife and I have just had a very enjoyable holiday in Fuerteventura spoilt only by a day trip across to Playa Blanca where I was ripped off by a bunch of Indian con artists in a shop by the name of Kapish Electronic, based on the main shopping street. I was virtually dragged in of the street and offered a good price so I thought for my old camera in part exchange for a Cannon camera, and it seemed a good deal but after I purchased it they told me I would need a memory card for it and I said I would just use the one out of my old camera to which then I was told my card would not work in the new one so I had to buy another card for 80 Euro. I thought well fair enough it was still a reasonable deal until they then said that you have to replace the card after about 60 pictures as it was not re writable so I asked for my money and camera back as this was not acceptable to me to which they showed me a sign saying No Refunds, I then started to play up and a group of them became very intimidating. The boss of the shop then came over and offered me another camera for an extra 230 Euro''s, so I was left with the dilemma of going with a camera that was no use to me or paying extra for the camera I ended up with for about twice the price I would have paid in the UK. After returning home I found that lots of people have had the same problem. I can only think that with all the complaints and still nothing done by the local Trading standards to close these shops down that they are either getting back handers or just don't give a toss. I for one will not go back there and will do all in my power to put others off. Yours D. Martin

Post subject: Re: Rip Off Camera Shop
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:34 am 

Not wishing to state the obvious but this subject has been discused on numerous ocassions on this site the only way to close these places is for everybody who visits the canaries to boycot them completely.
I have my own shop in the UK and if I treated people the way these guys do I would not exspect to still be in business.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:37 am 

Sorry for yer ordeal Davy, but your just the latest in a long long long line of victims. If you look back through this forum you'll find many posts relating to this topics going back years. Do not ever buy anything except souvenir tat when you're abroad. These days, everything can be bought at home on the web for much cheapness. Now, these electronic shops will never be shut down. They are the only truly negative part of Lanzarote. I always advise others to walk past the shops, don't even look in and just ignore if they try to engage you as you walk past. The majority of us English speaking tourists are too nice and polite, and think that all the shop and restaurant owners are so friendly when they chat. THEY ARE NOT! They want our cash. We really need to toughen up and be more like our mainland European neighbours who know the script and take no crap. Be hard nosed and ignore them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:43 pm 

"I for one will not go back there and will do all in my power to put others off. " I hope you are referring to the "electronics" shops and not PB or Lanzarote. As someone says, it is well known, and it isn't peculiar to Lanzarote. Just try looking at people's experiences in any Med holiday destination, or watch or listen to the innumerable radio and TV programmes about the inadvisability of buying from a shop like that anywhere. It amazes me that so many people fall for it, when they never would at home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:08 pm 

Well all I can say in answer to John B's comment is that if it was so widely known about these scams why do people still get caught, I for one did not know about it and had there been more warnings at the resorts in question I doubt I would have been taken in. You say it is a problem all over the med, well it is up to the local trading standards offices to sort it, it would not be allowed over here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:48 pm 

They exist everywhere outside the EU zone advertising "tax free" prices, including Correlejo and Caleta del Fuste. I agree they are scum, but they rely on people leaving their normal common sense at home. Do you think that if you went to, say Soho, and were seduced into a shop like that by the twin of the man who hooked you, you'd buy a camera from him, and spend the equivalent of 80 Euros on a card which you must know only costs a few quid - they have racks of them in Tesco!

I can honestly say that, in the 40 years or so I spent going on holidays abroad, I would never buy anything for more than a few euros or dollars in a small shop catering for tourists, and neither would anyone I knew. You said there should be warnings in the resort - I assume you day tripped to Playa Blanca so you're not talking about a holiday rep's advice. What do you think such warnings should say, "Caveat Emptor"? or "Don't buy from Kapish Electronics"?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:05 pm 

cameras-and-camcorders-t503.html

As said, - this is not something new........... :roll:

"The more I learn the less I know...."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:04 pm 

A part of the problem here is that to mention anything about this issue could bring about the wrath of being labelled racist and a heretic down on your head. That's probably why the OP hasn't heard about it and was duly ripped off.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:32 pm 

About 7 years ago, sitting in an internet cafe, a middle aged Englishman asked me for help on the internet, to see how much the video camera he had just bought for €700 from such a shop would have cost in UK. When he found it was £400 on the UK high street, he said he was going to complain to the shop :roll: . Good luck! Fancy buying something expensive when you don't have a clue about how much it should cost!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:55 pm 

John b, your comments are really bordering on cruel. talk about being smug and a know it all...The guy got stung, of course he's bitter, he'll be able to warn more people now. Please bear in mind that not everyone knows everything about anything in life. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 pm 

I thank everyone for their comments and I will state I am not usually easily duped but I do not have the benefit of regular Canarian holidays like some folks and did not know the problems that exist and probably still wouldn't if not for this episode. I have holidayed in mainland Spain / Cyprus etc and have not come across these type of shops prior to this. I have had lots of comments other than from this site stating that these shops have a "Mr Big" that owns them and they all employ the same tactics. Perhaps I am a bit naive but just looking at this web site alone there are a lot of us about. As for buying from a Soho shop, you are not allowed cameras in the places I visit. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:32 am 

Why do people do the most stupid things on holiday that they would never ever ever ever ever consider doing at home.......

1) Buying hugely expensive cameras and electronics that cost twice what the holiday cost in the first place from an unbranded shop they have just walked passed on the basis that the owners spoke to them and were friendly.

Yet to make a similar purchase in the UK we would spend weeks looking on the internet, checking out which and purchase reviews to make sure we are saving every single penny. Put on a pair of shorts and a dodgy t shirt and we're handing over £300 to the first indian who smiles at us.

2) Taking all our savings in cash on holiday with us. At home you never take more than you need to in cash with you for that day, and avoid dodgy parts of town. Stick on the sandals and sun cream and we think its perfectly normal to walk round a town we've never visited before with £2000 in our wallets and complain when we get mugged physically or metaphorically for a crap camera.

Grrrrrr!

Am sorry you got stung but why can't us brits just say no!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:05 pm 

It's not just that, LA. Some people think the laws of physics do't work on holiday, so they cheerfully walk into the road without looking too, as though the cars will bounce off them. Some also think that they can behave in loutish ways that (I assume) they don't do at home.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:15 pm 

i forgot why i visit this forum now i remember its so friendly and welcoming :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:02 pm 

Renee wrote:
John b, your comments are really bordering on cruel. talk about being smug and a know it all...The guy got stung, of course he's bitter, he'll be able to warn more people now. Please bear in mind that not everyone knows everything about anything in life. :wink:

Good points, well made, Renee, but on the other hand, everything I said was true, and was intended to rebut a post which seemed to suggest the OP would tell everyone not to come to the place I live in because he fell for a scam in one shop (and I did suggest he might like to rephrase that). If he had come across as a simple soul, I would not have commented, but he, writing back in the UK, I assume, appears articulate and intelligent, so I am bewildered by his gullability when abroad. He has done the classic of not complaining at the time to someone who might help, but then joining a forum to moan.