Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Selling (Lanzarote) Houses
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:57 am 

Hi, this is my first post on discoverlanzarote, I was tempted by this section which looks like it could be of real use to a potential buyer.

Foodie - your last post caught my eye because I've been to PB several times over the last three years or so and always had a passing interests in property prices. I was told recently by someone who had just bought there that asking prices usually bore little relationship to the actual selling price. Do you happen to know what the asking prices were in the examples you gave?

Hope I'm not presuming too much for a first post. :)

Zoro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:49 pm 

To answer (part) of my own question, many of the estate agents are now also doing lettings.

Most charge the tenant a months' rent for their services. When the bond is added on (usually the same again) it starts to become very expensive for the tenant. One of the CT agents charges the landlord (which will discourage many landlords!). And another in CT (Location) says it charges neither! Not sure how that works. An estate agent as a charitable insitution? M'mm............

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:24 pm 

I would doubt very much that theres no fee anywhere, maybe the agent you mention owns the houses so can do it fee free?

Something I have noticed is that spanish landlords are happy to pay an agent to just get on and deal with the house and rent collection etc, maybe due to being multiple property owners as many canarian families are. Brits are less inclined to pay. Its a hard balance to strike, unlike the Uk where the agent charges a percentage per month at least here you usually pay the rent that the owner actually wants each month instead of an inlated price.

Like anything as long as fees are not high then usually people are happy to pay for a service, its when that service becomes expensive that people begrudge paying.

In fairness I think new people moving over are more cautious and will rent first to get a grip on the island, how much this is to do with the money they have behing them or just simple commonsense I dont know though. For me I think its a good thing, people dont make hasty choices based on little experience this way.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:26 pm 

Maybe Location charge a percentage of the rent monthly and also do the property management?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:41 am 

Could be the case, not many charge a percentage of the rent here but its the only way I can see that they can do it, unless they own them of course or they are really really nice !!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:07 pm 

Well, most of the Lanz estate agents I've had dealings with have been pleasant and helpful, but we all have to make a living!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:43 pm 

Hi,

This has relevance to Foodie's post of Aug. 5th with reference to prices for CDS houses in PB. Out of curiosity I doubblechecked with the CDS Administration. (I presume CDS is short for Casas del Sol).

They are not aware of any CDS property sold within the last year and fetching as low as GBP 100K, and only a few houses have shifted hands.

Apparently "several houses under 100K" is a bit inaccurate....

So far so good, - what will happen in future is another story...

Thanks.....
:)

"The more I learn the less I know...."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:59 pm 

Some agents are saying that the market is picking up now, after a quiet summer. Anybody?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:34 pm 

The wisdom is that people still want to come to Lanzarote to live. So, again to any agents out there; Are you still getting enquiries? How has it changed over the past year? Are people actually buying, or are they more inclined to rent now? Any signs of a recovery?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:47 pm 

The property market in Lanzarote traditionally picks up after the summer, so I would imagine that it has picked up a bit.
Summer in Lanzarote attracts a different demographic to Winter with more young families in the summer (up to their necks in Mortgages at home) and older couples in the Winter. The winter visitors typically have more disposable income and many are probably thinking about retirement or a second home.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:34 pm 

Really? Well I had heard of 2 on CDS that were sold under £100k (maybe you were asking in Euros?) because the owner had died and the children wanted a quick sale.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:28 pm 

Foodie

if your reply was directed at Zocoloco then hasked in GBP see below.

"They are not aware of any CDS property sold within the last year and fetching as low as GBP 100K"

As you say you hadf heard but was whoever telling you that actually speaking the truth or merely fabricating.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:24 pm 

Sounds like one of them pesky urban legends to me....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:34 am 

Foodie,

"several houses under 100K" has now been bolied down to two ?

I am not impressed by your August statement which is misleading and does not help anybody....

And again, out of the handful of houses sold in CDS over the last 12 months, none fetched as low as GBP 100.000.... This according to the CDS administration.....

And I have known these people since 1984, - I trust them....

Thanks.... :wink:

"The more I learn the less I know...."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:16 pm 

Hi - I've just got back from staying at CDS (again) and it seems there has been quite a bit of recent activity. Four bungalows (maybe five) were sold last week. However I don't think any went for as low as GBP100K I understand that one of the smaller ones went for around Euros 159K and one of the larger ones went for around Euros 200K (which is a pity for me as I'd have gone for that one). Looks like there are deals to be done at the right price.