Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Staying in Matagorda
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:34 pm 

Is aircraft noise a problem over Matagorda?

Post subject: Re: Staying in Matagorda
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:04 pm 

We've never found it a problem. We're heading back there on Thursday for the third consecutive year in Matagorda. There were never any overnight flights although I think there may now be one or two (Ryanair?) You do hear the "roar" as they take off or land and I joke that you can taste the aviation fuel at times, however, it really is not a problem for us and we have young children who sleep through it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:13 pm 

Thanks Kath
So planes dont fly directly overhead all day?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:22 pm 

Well, you get the odd one or two that are "directly overhead" but in general they are approaching the airport from over the sea to land. And generally take off away over the rest of the island, hence the roar. Occasionally, (and I believe it depends on the wind direction) they may land and take off the other way around, but again they're not going over us, as such. We stay in a complex very close to the Hotel Beatrix and we enjoy a walk along the prom to the end of the runway where it's very exciting to see them come in right over your head and very low. The children love it!! In the evenings we love to eat at some of the front-line restaurants (Sirocco for example) overlooking the sea and the sunsets, when you can see them coming in but noise is no problem at all. Hope this helps, when are you there?? Best wishes, Kath.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:34 pm 

We're going to be there early Sept if, given what you've said , we go for the villa in Matagorda. Sounds promising.
Thanks for all this info.
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:15 pm 

Aircraft prefer to land from the sea, as you avoid the volcanoes, for this reason they operate in that direction most of the time (it's also the only end of the runway that is instrument equipped). Take offs are also done in line with this, though it's a bit easier as they quickly swing to the right after take off avoiding the volcanoes.

The rule of thumb is if the wind blowing towards the runway from the sea exceeds 20mph, they physically have to take off and fly parallel with the coast line from a safety point of view, tail winds increase the wheel speed of the plane, but not the air flowing over the wings which is what gets it into the air.

It's hardly noticeable really, whenever they take off out to sea, by the time they have turned over the island, they're many thousands of feet up so can't be heard anyway.

Didn't mean to give you an aerodynamics lesson there but that's how they do it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:08 am 

Fascinating stuff - are you a pilot by any chance?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:32 pm 

sorry bjones4 but technically incorrect.

Wheel speed has nothing to do with take off, the crucial one is airspeed.

If an aircraft takes off at 150mph and the wind is zero, then at 150mph Vr is reached and the aircraft takes off. But if the wind is blowing 20mph towards the aircraft the simple sum of 150-20 is used giving a take-off speed of 130mph. This means less runway can be used as the Vr speed is reached more quickly. With a tailwind, wind from behind the aircraft, the sum 150+20 is used = 170mph take-off speed requiring much more runway length. Hence most aircraft will take-off into wind.

Also heat is a factor as the hotter the ambient temperature, the lower the thrust of the engines due to airflow requirements of the modern turbofan engine, again requiring more runway length. Some aircraft are range limited, so certain a/c will need to stop off to refuel (can't take off with the fuel required for a direct flight to the Uk) in Portugal or Southern Spain.

Don't worry about noise in Matagorda it is fine, the aircraft never fly directly overhead. The views of them approaching is fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:10 pm 

My son is actually a pilot - of helicopters, not aeroplanes though! I might just check this out with him, really interesting stuff - but in the meantime, Matagorda is well quiet from all aircraft noise!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:34 pm 

We sit by the pool all day in Mata and you might hear a rumble at take off but after first day it is absorbed into subconscious and you won't notice it in the slightest. Always enjoy watching the planes descend to the airport over the water in front of Mata. & agree it won't disturb a meal at Scirocco or any other frontline restaurant. Mata is great and really peaceful. Have fun 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:23 pm 

Ok Kath, rotary wing also have problems with heat and altitude. Altitude is not a problem at ACE but heat is. With the runway length available at Lanzarote certain aircraft do have take-off limitations, also wind will always affect operations.

The aerospatiale Llama had great altitude operations, but some of the newer heli's do have high altitude problems. Heli's rely on air density, the higher you go the lower the density, therefore less lift and more marginal operations.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:35 pm 

Cymmon, you never cease to amaze me!!! He flies Chinooks, two rotors to consider! Less than 24 hours now till I'll be there by the pool, Yippeeee!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:47 pm 

Chinooks are good but when twin rotors go bad.......remember when the old BA had Boeing Vertol heli's for the oil shuttles? Also looked at possible passenger services with up to 44 passengers.

Stop worrying about the noise, get on with the holiday. Lifes too short!

I fly now very often, Manchester via Doha and Manila to Butuan then reverse + add lanza flight.
I love all types of aircraft. Please ask for more info!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:39 pm 

cymmon, nearly all helicopters except NOTAR have at least two rotors. The Chinook's safety record is good for a helicopter. The North Sea accident was caused by a bevel gear failure, caused think by a maintenance error, which allowed the rotors to collide, but gearbox failures in most helicopters will lead to catastrophic results. As a result of that accident, no oil rig support helicopters operate in the North Sea, or for the large oil companies anywhere, without Health and Usage Monitoring Systems (HUMS) which provide many hours of advanced warning of failure. All Dutch and UK military Chinooks are fitted with HUMS, including the Mk3s. Incidentally, I'd much rather get back into a Chinook than any fixed wing aircraft of a smaller size!

It would be nice to see a Chinook flying into Lanzarote, that would give some interest to those in Matagorda!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:00 pm 

Ahh, but the lovely chinook has rotors front and back. If they intermesh then you have a serious problem.
I agree, a chinook into ACE would be superb.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... o-the.html

Where I am at the moment, Butuan, its only a short runway, so biggest plane is Airbus A320, trust me they put it down! Then they slam on the reverse, have to turn round on the runway and backtrack. I love this place because it is so backward to UK tastes. Setting up schooling for the locals so they get a chance in the future.They only learn Visaya and Tagalog, but sorry to say they need English to promote their lives.