Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: theft by hotel maid
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:06 pm 

just back from puerto del Carmen.7th June. Robbed from our room by maid first day she was in our room.
hotel blue seas los fiscos were not interested told us maids do not clean as early as 9,30-10am We had just gone to breakfast running late did not remove our travel wallet or purses from hiding place of zipped area of sofa cushion (underside) and our jewellery pouches. Put there overnight and in morning we put all in our bags. But on this occasion running late and only had phones in bags and camera from night before or they would have been gone too My I pad was on charge and I removed and put in my bag as could be seen on worktop from window.
We were intending to load up beach bag and handbag with our personal stuff after breakfast. We were gone 25minutes.
She took time to empty all our money then proceeded to put £15 sterling out travel wallet and in to a purse belonging my friend. She did not have a ten or five pound note but I did.
The two purses and travel wallet containing passports and return flight tickets were left. No Random thief would do that all would be grabbed and contents taken rest dumped.
But maid only person who had access to room apart from us. Police not helpful Cost 30 euro for an interpreter money a neighbouring holiday maker lent us.
Two days to get money from UK via western union as internet always down and post office only opens in mornings.
Hotel full of steps not suitable for elderly or infirm. Or kids buggies.
beach 15/20 minutes away as is centre of resort.
Irish folk there amazing Loved the Harbour Bar. Owner lovely Band great as is atmosphere.
But the hills are a nightmare. If going this resort stay clear of the hotel los fiscos near the flora try and get down in old town as flat there. Plenty pubs mainly Irish and loads of eat places.
Hope this is helpful but what we heard from various locals there is more than one hotel thief and I have sent photographs of some of my stolen jewellery Maybe help police trace the people doing this. As not a random theft very planned and calculated.

Post subject: Re: theft by hotel maid
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:38 pm 

Hi
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate theft but blaming the maid is not necessarily the answer.......what about the hundreds if not thousands of people who stayed in your room previously... and could have easily had a key cut....hoping to return at a later date and rob the contents.....it is all too easy to blame the hired help rather than look at the root cause ......yes thefts do happen here but without concrete proof you simply cannot place the blame on any one individual .....anyone could have had access to your room given that they could have
1.Stolen the key or pass key
2. Been a previous occupant and had a key cut key
3. know the times of breakfast and seen you leave your room
4. Knocked on door ....no reply ...picked lock and emptied the room
5.If a balcony present ..climbed over and entered your room that way
As I said I do sympathise but blaming the maid ...who may have been there years without a stain on her character (and no doubt would have been interviewed by the Police as a result of your accusation)is perhaps a little simplistic.
As you say there are probably many thieves operating in resorts like this world-wide...and believe me these people know where to look....there isn´t a hiding place you can think of which they would not know or check ! ....always invest in a safe as at least you are covered by insurance should a theft occur.
Once again my sympathies but throwing out unjust accusations with no proof is not the way to proceed.By the way..did it occur to you that perhaps your passports and flight tickets were untouched because the thief may already have a passport and flight ticket of his /her own ???and may not be local at all !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:43 pm 

Very sorry to hear this - it must be terrible to get burgled and even worse to get burgled when you're in a foreign country.

For what it's worth, during my barman days I thankfully only ever came across two thieves (who had snatched handbags in the bar), and both were tourists.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:45 pm 

Well your comments on my robbery bit far fetched
All reasons as to how not maid bit way out
We had our belongings prior to breakfast
She was in our room on return
First time in room and robbed Coinsidence? I think not!!
And never came back in to clean rest of our stay
Clean towels left outside
And police did not interview her Hotel did not check her locker or belongings
Not interested
And told thieving going on with other hotels in area so in our opinion and police and other holiday makers
Agreed ..... Inside Job !!
Won't be back will stick to the many other countries
We visit 3 times a year and not once been robbed
But thanks for voicing Your Opinion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:47 pm 

Sadly not far-fetched at all.....the first scenario actually happened to me....previous occupant robbed us whilst we were out,using a key he had copied....and all of the other scenarios have been reported in the local press since we lived here.....also if you accused me for no reason then I would have refused to enter your room again on principle....jobs a re scarce here (35% unemployment) and it would take a particular kind of idiot to risk never working again for a handful of euros and jewellery.....plus if it was a local why put fifteen quid back in your friend´s purse....cash is the least traceable and could have easily been exchanged in any exchange shop......no, you think what you want but I favour a non-local for this....and as to the maid being in your room ....afraid that is when they like to clean it takes less time than when you are there !!
Once again sorry it had to happen but you should not be prosecutor, judge and.jury without evidence :(