Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Work Req for construction work
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:55 pm 

Hello.

I am moving to Lanzarote in January 2011 with my wife, we will be stopping in the old town of PDC. I will be looking for work in the construction sector, mainly block-paving, flagging and tarmacadam. I have worked in the the private sector and for local Authority's (councils) for over 30 years so plenty of experience and willing to work. I have also done a little roofing but unfortunatly hights dont agree with my head, ok on a bungalow but nothing higher. :mrgreen:

If you need any more information please feel free to contact me.

gloverpaul1@yahoo.co.uk

Post subject: Re: Work Req for construction work
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:23 pm 

Unfortunately it will be difficult to get work along these lines, unless you are lucky enough to find ex-pats who do this.
Spanish would be essential for hotel, bungalow work, and the economy is poor at the moment as in the UK.
Work seems to arrive when you trawl the streets asking.
Good luck.
Never give up the dream.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:58 pm 

Thanks for the reply cymmon, appreciate your honesty, have you any idea who to contact if i was intrested in work with the local authority, i have seen for almost 2 years now the road works and new dranage being layed and also on the harbour. Unfortunatly i dont speek spanish but it goes without saying i will have to do some thing about that. Was thinking of going it alone and doing private driveway construction or repair but i thought i would get my feet under the table first so to speek.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:21 pm 

This is the site that may give you a chance;

http://www.cabildodelanzarote.com/

But you need to get in contact with local ex-pats if you want to start work. I did 2 years in Lanza, It was hard, had to return to the uk, part because my father died and part because after 21 years of research I underestimated the Canarian mentality of work.

Life is what you make of it in Lanza. A certain coach company tried to roster me for a 20 hour duty, that is what you are up against, also much lower wages.

Lots of people on this forum should be able to help, maybe give you guidance on who needs work done.

The old cherry, If you don´t try you never know.

I fully intend to return, but will have to split my time between Lanza and the Phillipines.

Go for it, but decide how much you can lose, get out when you hit that figure, then try again. Fingers crossed you won´t lose, but be prepared to do any jobs. But not at any cost.

Honesty costs nothing, a major move not researched can.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:56 pm 

Hello again symmon.

Thanks for taking the time to give me the heads up.
Your right about getting to know the x pats i think maybe that is the road to go down, i am not bothered about making a fortune just enough to pay the rent and eat well. At the moment i am doing driveway construction but there is to much competition and there are to many cowboys its hard you tend to get tared with the same brush, i bet i have only earned 10,000 this year. The other problem i would find is what to charge that's why i thought of working for sombody first before jumping in with both feet in the uk your not going out o your way to charge £70 (80 yo yo's) to lay a couple of flags, i have been looking at places for rent and seeing i they were british if they are then contact them to let them know what i am planing to do, being a flagger/ block paver i am also able to do tyling around pools ect, there are lots of things i could do with my skills but its getting the people to know i am there and what i can offer them. Also i am 50 next year so the layed back approach of the locals suits me right to the ground. What was you doing ?.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:04 pm 

I did private tours of the Island, Coach driving, worked in 3 bars, PR´d in another etc.
It was good.

Got the chance to come back to work in another bar, My friend was french, now spanish (?) married to a Colombian and lives in Playa Honda.

All I say is do the research, do it again, then find out it´s not all correct..........

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:18 pm 

cymmon wrote:
All I say is do the research, do it again, then find out it´s not all correct..........

One can only try Cymmon................... love the quote, made me laugh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:26 pm 

Truth or bull???? Another one.

Glad you enjoyed it