Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 2:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Work Wanted
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:54 pm 

Hi,

I am flying out on August 2nd and will be looking for any sort of bar/promo work if anyone knows of anything, I will be looking for work in Puerto Del Carmen, Sam x

Post subject: Re: Work Wanted
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:56 pm 

Sam, have you searched this forum for the advice given to people coming to look for work here? The brief summary is, don't. There is about 40% unemployment, mainly among people who relied on the tourist industry, which is in a poor state because people can't afford to holiday here. I hope you have a return ticket. Use your time to have a look, and have a holiday, but don't expect to stay, unless you are incredibly lucky.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:02 pm 

Hi thanks for the advice. Yes I have looked on the forum yet whilst on holiday there a few weeks ago I was told there was plenty of work in bars etc. that's all I'm looking for! I'll take my chances but thanku for the advice. Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:20 pm 

Hi
Don´t know who told you there was plenty of work.......obviously an idiot as there are only a few jobs with no contract(so illegal anyway)as JohnB says unemployment is at 40% that means for every 10 people you walk past only 6 of them have any form of income!!!Tourism is at an all time low and the euro is about to implode...yes you might get a week here or there followed by ¨¨¨sorry we don´t need you at the moment......oh and by the way as you were on trial don´t expect any wages or just a few euros¨¨Believe me I have seen it happen as recently as 2 weeks ago !!
There is no safety net here...if you do not have enough to fly home you will be out on the street !!
However I wish you well but it´s along way to come to be disappointed.
Oh nearly forgot there will be plenty of people who will take advantage of the fact you are a ¨Newbie¨to the island and will quite happily rip you off with promises of this or that ....so here are some facts... Cost of flat ...about 450€ per month(plus same amount for deposit).......cost of food etc about 200€ per month......cost of travel/entertainment per month between 25€ to 100€....so before you even start you need to have 1,200€ in cash that you can afford to lose if you cannot find work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:18 pm 

hi sam 84 you sound like you have some self confidence about you take no notice of the same old negative posts about finding work if thats what you want to do go for it just cold call as many bars pubs as you can if you visit 15 law of average says youll get work so ignore the doom and gloom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:16 pm 

Sam, as far as I can tell from his posts, Soldier 129 lives in UK and comes here once in a while, unlike the others who have replied who either live, or have lived here, so I don't think his advice is based on any real knowledge of work opportunities here. You might get a job in a bar by asking around, but it will almost certainly be a week's trial, after which they let you go, possibly with no pay. You probably won't get a contract so you won't pay social security, so you won't be eligible for benefits, and you could easily wind up living hand to mouth, eating in charity kitchens with the drug users. This is not the UK, there is not a safety net. Don't let the sunshine fool you, it is not a place to be without income or money.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:31 pm 

Hi
Just some further info as of 9/7/12 you will now need under the new residency rules to PROVE you can
support yourself and HAVE sufficient private medical insurance to cover you during your time here (see the following link http://www.lanzaroterelocation.co.uk/ne ... july-2012/) whilst looking for work.
If you do not comply then fines and possible deportation await......Spain has decided it no longer wants extranjeros (as we are known ) to be a burden on the state,!or to take jobs from the locals......you were warned so on your head be it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 am 

More news:

Spain's unemployment rate rises to 24.6%, the highest since the 1970s, and experts see no signs of improvement any time soon.

from the bbc website.