Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Work Wanted
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:08 pm 

Myself and my partner are looking at relocating to lanzarote with our children full time.

we both have many skills under our belt and are wondering if there would be any job opportunities available to us.

myself.

Banqueting
Waitressing
Beauty Therapy
Customer Service

partner.

Time Served Mechanic held roles in Land Rover and Citreon
Bar Staff(Family run pub)
Manager(2 Family Cafes)
Customer Service

Both fluent English
Myself Basic Spanish

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Work Wanted
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:42 am 

Hi
Best of luck with your search as unemployment here is now 36% and rising.The only type of work available to you will probably be bar work as your Spanish is only basic(your husband could set up as a self-employed mechanic to the Brits here but would mean importing all his equipment and tools and paying quite high import duties and taxes to do so)
Of course at the moment bars and restaurants are closing or reducing staff at an alarming rate as it has been a very poor year.
Your children will require education...if you cannot afford private Brit schools the Spanish system is good.....providing you realise that there will be NO concession to the fact they do not speak Spanish
Plus as I am sure you are aware of the new rules as regarding obtaining Residencia here (minimum PROVEN income of approx 800€ per adult per month or a Spanish employment contract and FULL PRIVATE medical insurance to cover the length of your stay)as a lot of people have been rejected recently including people who have lived here a while but were unable to comply with the new regulations.
As you have children involved I would seriously rethink your plans and only commit to moving provided you can afford to live with no income for up to 6 months and still have sufficient funds left to return to the UK should it go wrong,however I do wish you the best of luck.
I am sorry if you find this negative.......at the moment this is the reality of life on ¨¨the rock´´...no jobs...no benefits.....no help....and a daily struggle if you have to work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 pm 

i am just back on the 8th oct there,

yes i know all about the residency changes and proof of income its quite hard going.
don't find you in the negative at all its very helpful
I am glad to receive the feedback good or bad so thank you.
Guess U.K it is then.

I know what you mean about the Bars etc drying up seen it for myself,and you can tel the unemployment is bad.
Im at the point Id take the long hours,and lower pay for the sake of a better lifestyle for my children(but then again is it better?) they are 1 and 8 so i thought it would be hard going on the elder 1 going straight to spanish state, so already weighing up pro's and con's

Ahhh if only to be self employed and bring something to the table that is handy to everyone.
Also been thinking of saving the cash for a few years for fall back and unemployment from moving.
we will wait and see if it gets better or worse all round.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:50 pm 

far away hills often look greener, only for you to find that when you reach them, they are just the same as the fields at home.