Castillo de San Jose, Arrecife, LanzarotePuerto Naos
The Castillo de San Jose was built in 1799 to protect the Harbour from Pirate Attack but became known as the Fortaleza del hambre (Hunger Fortress) because of the much needed employment that it gave to the island's then impoverished population. The castle never faced any real military threat and was used as a gunpowder arsenal.
It remained in Military use until 1890, but then stood vacant until 1974 when César Manrique converted it into a Modern Art Gallery and Restaurant, the Museo International de Arte Contemporáneo.
(+34) 928 812321
Museum: Everyday 11.00 - 21.00
Castle: Everyday 11.00 - 01.00